Grand Marnier Spoons
November 2014 VICL Fall Yacht Charter Show Culinary Contest winner, Louise Langello, shares her recipe. It is a savory sweet combination of top sirloin and tropical fruits flavored with the the requisite contest ingredient, Grand Marnier, an orange-flavored cognac liqueur.
- 2 Top sirloin steaks
- 6 tbs Grand Marnier
- 1/4 cup Freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 3 tbs Honey
- 2 tbs Asian chili sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbs Finely minced orange zest
- 1/4 cup Finely minced ginger
- 1/4 cup Fresh basil
- 2 Minced green onions
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Mango
- Plain goat cheese
- Sea salt
- Marinate two top sirloins for 4 hours.
- Take top sirloins out of marinade and set side. Transfer marinade into a small saucepan and simmer on low for 20-25 minutes or until marinade has reduced to 1/3 of its original volume.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado with fork and lightly season with sea salt and pepper. Place a large dollop of mashed avocado on each spoon for bottom layer.
- Cube mango into small pieces.
- Grill steaks to medium rare, then place in foil for 5 minutes.
- Slice the two sirloins into very thin slices. Wrap one piece of steak around one or two small cubes of mango and place it on top of the mashed avocado.
- Top the steak and mango piece with a small cruble of goat cheese.
- Take less than a teaspoon of the marinade reduction and drizzle it over the goat cheese.