Recipes - Appetizers
LEEK, MUSHROOM AND FETA FILO ROLLS
This recipe is from the charter yacht NAUTICAT OF FOWEY, a 47-foot
Leopard catamaran, who is no longer in charter but was well-known for
their great food.
First Make Your Filling
- Wash and finely slice 3 leeks and a handful of mushrooms.
- Gently saut� these in a pan with a little olive oil and a couple of sprigs of thyme and seasoning to taste.
- Mix in 3 – 4 oz of crumbled feta cheese or you can use goats’ cheese if you prefer.
- Allow mixture to cool while you prepare your filo.
Prepare Your Filo
- Take one packet of filo and carefully open out the sheets and
lay them on a board and cover with some cling wrap to keep them moist.
- Melt one stick of butter.
- Take a sheet of filo and lay it on your work board – brush it
carefully with the melted butter. Lay a second sheet on top. Cut the two
sheets into three sections to give three oblongs and brush around the
four edges of each one.
Now Make The Filo Rolls
- At the top end of each, place a small tight bundle of your leek mixture and fold in the top and the two sides all the way down.
- Roll these up into cigar shape parcels and place onto a baking sheet with the seam underneath.
- When all complete, brush the tops with beaten egg and chill down in the fridge for an hour or so.
- Cook in a hot oven for about 20 minutes or until the tops have gone golden brown.
Variations:You can make much bigger ones to make as a main veggie dish and you
could use any combo of cooked /leftover veg and herbs and cheese – maybe
Brie or Mozzarella to make them a little bit gooey.
More Stuff > Recipes > Appetizers > Leek, Mushroom, Feta Filo Rolls